Chin-Cheng Scotty Yang
- Insect Microbial Interactions
- Areas of Expertise
- Research Interests
- Professional Societies & Service
The Yang Lab is focused on characterization of various insect-microbial interactions (including pathogens) through diverse approaches such as genetics, genomics, behavior, evolutionary biology and disease transmission ecology. The current model systems are (but not limited to) ants and urban/invasive insect pests. Learn more by visiting the Yang’s laboratory website found here.
- Insect-microbe (pathogen) interactions
- Ecology and evolution of host-pathogen arms race
- Transmission dynamics of insect microbes/pathogens
- Population/evolutionary genetics of insects and their microbes
- Microbial control of insect pests
- Urban pest management
- Social insects and sociobiology
- Invasion biology and ecology
Current research in the Yang Lab is primarily focused on insect-microbe & pathogen interactions using ants/urban (or invasive) pests and their associated microbes/pathogens as model systems. Approaches to pursue these exciting research projects in the lab include behavior, genetics, genomics and disease transmission ecology. The Yang Lab remains active in the fields of population genetics, invasion ecology and urban pest management. Dr. Yang's current research interests include: 1) ecology and co-evolutionary history of insect-microbe (pathogen) interactions; 2) behavioral and physiological responses of social insects to pathogen infection; 3) exploration of microbial biocontrol agents in social insect pests; 4) development of insect microbial pest control strategy
· Behavioral/physiological responses of fire ant to pathogen infection
· Virus diversity and evolution in ants and urban/invasive insect pests
· Wolbachia transmission dynamics among various ecological associations
· Ecological drivers of honeybee virus spillover mediated by ants
· Effects of microbes/pathogens on urban/invasive insect establishment
Ph.D. (2010) Department of Entomology, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
M.S. (2006) Department of Entomology, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
B.S. (2004) Department of Entomology, National Taiwan University, Taiwan
2021 – Present, Assistant Professor, Insect-Microbial Interactions, Department of Entomology, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, USA
2020 – 2021, Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Entomology, National Chung Hsing University, Taichung, Taiwan
2016 – 2020, Junior Associate Professor, Research Institute for Sustainable Humanosphere, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan
2011 – 2016, Assistant Professor, Master Program for Plant Medicine, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan
2010 – 2011, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biodiversity Research Center, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan
2009 – 2010, Visiting Scientist, Center for Medical, Agricultural and Veterinary Entomology (CMAVE), ARS, USDA
ENT 6354 – Insect Behavior and Ecology
More publication are available here.
- Kamiyama MT, Matsuura K, Yoshimura T, Yang CCS. 2021. Predation of the brown marmorated stink bug Halyomorpha halys, by the Japanese acrobat ants, Crematogaster matsumurai and Crematogaster osakensis. Biological Control, 157, 104570.
- Lin CY, Lee CC, Nai YS, Hsu HW, Lee CY, Tsuji K, Yang CCS. 2020. Deformed wing virus in two widespread invasive ants: geographical distribution, prevalence, and phylogeny. Viruses, 12, 1309.
- Lee CC, Lin CY, Tseng SP, Matsuura K, Yang CCS. 2020 Ongoing coevolution of Wolbachia and a widespread invasive ant, Anoplolepis gracilipes. Microorganisms, 8, 1569.
- Wu YH, Kamiyama MT, Chung CC, Tzeng HY, Hsieh CH, Yang CCS. 2020. Population monitoring, egg parasitoids and genetic structure of the invasive litchi stink bug, Tessaratoma papillosa in Taiwan. Insects,11, 690.
- Lee CC, Lin CY, Hsu HW, Yang CCS. 2020. Complete genome sequence of two novel dicistroviruses detected in the yellow crazy ant, Anoplolepis gracilipes. Archives of Virology,165, 2715-2719.
- Lee CC, Weng YM, Lai LC, Suarez AV, Wu WJ, Lin CC, Yang CCS. 2020. Analysis of recent interception records reveals that wood/wood-product trade could lead to a new wave of ant invasion. Insects,11, 356.
- Tseng SP, Hsu PW, Lee CC, Wetterer JK, Hugel S, Wu LH, Lee CY, Yoshimura T, Yang CCS. 2020. Evidence for common horizontal transmission of Wolbachia among ants and ant crickets: kleptoparasitism added to the list. Microorganisms, 8, 805.
- Hsu PW, Hugel S, Wetterer JK, Tseng SP, Ooi M, Lee CY, Yang CCS. 2020. Ant-loving crickets associated with the invasive yellow crazy ant Anoplolepis gracilipes (Hymenoptera: Formicidae): distribution, molecular phylogeny and cryptic species. Myrmecological News, 30,103-129.
- Wylie R, Yang CCS, Tsuji K. 2020. Invader at the gate: the status of red imported fire ant in Australia and Asia. Ecological Research, 35, 6-16.
- Lin YH, Laio YC, Yang CCS, Billen J, Yang MM, Hsu YF. 2019. Vibrational communication between a myrmecophilous butterfly Spindasis lohita (Lepidoptera: Lycaenidae) and its host ant Crematogaster rogenhoferi (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Scientific Reports, 9, 18548.
- Hsu HW, Chiu MC, Lee CC, Lee CY, Yang CCS. 2019. The association between virus prevalence and intercolonial aggression levels in the yellow crazy ant, Anoplolepis gracilipes (Jerdon). Insects, 10, 436.
- Tseng SP, Wetterer JK, Suarez AV, Lee CY, Yoshimura T, Shoemaker D, Yang CCS. 2019. Genetic diversity and Wolbachia infection patterns in a globally distributed invasive ant. Frontiers in Genetics, 10, 838.
- Tseng SP, Darras H, Lee CY, Yoshimura T, Keller L, Yang CCS. 2019. Isolation and characterization of novel microsatellite markers for a globally distributed invasive ant Paratrechina longicornis. European Journal of Entomology, 116, 253-257.
- Kamimura Y, Yang CCS, Lee CY. 2019. Fitness advantages of the biased use of paired laterally symmetrical penises in an insect. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 32, 844-855.
- Hsu HW, Chiu MC, Shih CJ, Matsuura K, Yang CCS. 2019. Apoptosis as a primary defense mechanism in response to viral infection in invasive fire ant Solenopsis invicta. Virology, 531, 255-259.
- Wu YH, Tseng HY, Yang CCS. 2018. Ants as egg predators of the invasive lychee stink bug (Tessaratoma papillosa; Hemiptera: Tessaratomidae): Identification and predation efficiency. Formosan Entomologist, 38, 97-102.
- Hsu HW, Chiu MC, Shoemaker DD, Yang CCS. 2018. Viral infections in fire ants lead to reduced foraging activity and dietary changes. Scientific Reports, 8, 13498.
- Lee CH, Wang J, Matsuura K, Yang CCS. 2018. The complete mitochondrial genome of yellow crazy ant, Anoplolepis gracilipes (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Mitochondrial DNA Part B: Resources, 2, 622-623.
- Guswenrivo I, Tseng SP, Yang CCS, Yoshimura T. 2018. Development of multiplex nested PCR for simultaneous detection of ectoparasitic fungi Laboulbeniopsis termitarius and Antennopsis gallica on Reticulitermes speratus. Journal of Economic Entomology, 111, 1330-1336.
- Lee CC, Hsu SF, Yang CCS, Lin CC. 2018. Thelytokous parthenogenesis in the exotic dacetine ant Strumigenys rogeri (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in Taiwan. Entomological Science, 21, 28-33.
- Tseng SP, Yang CCS. 2017. Letter to Editor: Comment on Seri Masran and Ab Majid 2017. Journal of Medical Entomology, 54, 1107-1108.
- Lee CC, Nakao H, Tseng SP, Hsu HW, Lin GL, Tay JW, Billen J, Ito F, Lee CY, Lin CC, Yang CCS. 2017. Worker reproduction of the invasive yellow crazy ant Anoplolepis gracilipes. Frontiers in Zoology, 14, 24.
- Ho HC, Yang ST, Wu WJ, Yang CC. 2016. The effect of carbohydrate components in Hemipteran honeydew on invasiveness of the yellow crazy ant (Anoplolepis gracilipes) (Hymenoptera: Formicidae). Formosan Entomologist, 36, 6-14.
- Chen YC, Lai MH, Wu CY, Lin TC, Cheng AH, Yang CC et al. 2016. The genetic structure, virulence, and fungicide sensitivity of Fusarium fujikuroi in Taiwan. Phytopathology, 106, 624-635.
- Chung CL, Huang SY, Huang YC, Tzean SS, Ann PJ, Tsai JN, Yang CC et al. 2015. The genetic structure of Phellinus noxius and dissemination pattern of brown root rot disease in Taiwan. PLoS One, 10(10): e0139445.
- Wu YH, Hsu HW, Shih CJ, Yang CC. 2013. Interspecific competition between gray black spiny ant (Polyrhachis dives) and red imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta): evaluation of ant species with biotic resistance potential. Formosan Entomologist, 33, 107-120.
- Yang CC, Ascunce MS, Luo LZ, Shao JG, Shih CJ, Shoemaker DD. 2012. Propagule pressure and colony social organization are associated with the successful invasion and rapid range expansion of invasive fire ants in China. Molecular Ecology, 21, 817-833.
- Wurm Y, Wang J, Riba-Grognuz O, Corona M, Nygaard S, Hunt B, Ingram K, Falquet L, Nipitwattanaphon M, Gotzek D, Dijkstra M, Oettler J, Shih CJ, Wu WJ, Yang CC, et al. 2011. The genome of fire ant Solenopsis invicta. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 108, 5679-5684.
- Ascunce MS#, Yang CC#, Oakey J, Calcaterra L, Wu WJ, Shih CJ, Goudet J, Ross KG, Shoemaker DD. 2011. Global invasion history of the fire ant Solenopsis invicta. Science, 331,1066-1088. (#equal contribution)
Taiwan Entomological Society
Entomological Society of America
Asian Myrmecology (2020-present)
Journal of Economic Entomology (Associate Editor, 2020-present)
Tropical Life Sciences Research (2019-present)
Bulletin of Entomological Research (2018-present)
Sustainable Humanosphere (2018-2020)