- Quantitative Ecology
B.S. (1986), University of the West Indies
M.S. (1990), Univerity of Florida
Ph.D. (1996), University of Florida
- Entomological Society of America
- Sigma Xi - The Scientific Research Society
- ENT 6354 Insect Behavior and Ecology
- ALS 5204 Research and Information Systems in the Life Sciences
- ENT 6004 Design and Analysis of Agricultural Experiments
- ALS 5214 Information Systems and Research in the Life Sciences (On-line)
Dr. Brewster has a primary responsibility to provide statewide leadership for a research and teaching program in Quantitative Ecology for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) and other aspects of entomology. Emphasis in his program is on the applications of quantitative and spatial analysis methods and information technologies such as remote sensing, geographic information systems (GIS), geostatistics, models, and the Internet/World Wide Web to develop novel approaches to decision making in entomology, agriculture, and natural resource management. Dr. Brewster currently has teaching responsibilities in several courses.
- Concept Mapping on the Web
- NSF S-STEM project
- Emerging Foci of La Crosse Encephalitis Virus Activity
- International IPM: IPM CRSP West African regional consortium of IPM excellence
- Reduced Pesticide Use in Bee Hives through the Development and Promotion of an IPM Program for Mite Parasites
- Spatial ecology and remote sensing for precision management
- Studies in Forensic Entomology
- Cline, Ben E.
- Moore, Lisa
- Means, Jackson
- Blank, Cameron
Wage or Other Employee
- Vieira, L.C., N.G Oliveira, C.C. Brewster, and S.F. Gayubo. 2012 Using higher taxa as surrogates of species-level data in three Portuguese protected areas: A case study on Spheciformes (Hymenoptera), Biodiversity and Conservation 21:3467–3486
- Brown, P.H., D.M. Miller, C.C. Brewster, and R.D. Fell. 2012. Spatial distribution of structure infesting ant species inhabiting urban housing developments of different ages. Urban Ecosystems. Urban Ecosystems (in press; DOI 10.1007/s11252-012-0263)
- Brown, P.H., D.M. Miller, C.C. Brewster, and R.D. Fell. 2012. Biodiversity of ant species along a disturbance gradient in residential environments of Puerto Rico. Urban Ecosystems (in press; DOI 10.1007/s11252-012-0260-5)
- Jackson, B.T., C.C. Brewster, and S.L. Paulson. 2012. La Crosse virus infection alters blood feeding behavior in Aedes triseriatus and Aedes albopictus (Diptera: Culicidae). Journal of Medical Entomology 14:1424–1429.
- Davis, G. A., S. M. Salom, C.C. Brewster, B. P. Onken, and L. T. Kok. 2012. Spatiotemporal distribution of the hemlock woolly adelgid predator, Laricobius nigrinus, following release in eastern hemlock forests. Agricultural and Forest Entomology, 14:408–418.
- Frank, D., C.C. Brewster, T. Leskey, and C. Bergh. 2011. Factors Influencing the temporal and spatial patterns of dogwood borer (Lepidoptera: Sesiidae) infestation in newly planted apple orchards. Environmental Entomology 40: 173–183
- Polanco A.M., D.M. Miller, and C.C. Brewster. 2011. Reproductive potential of field-collected populations of Cimex lectularius L. and the cost of traumatic insemination. Insects. 2: 326–335
- Polanco, A.M., D.M. Miller, and C.C. Brewster. 2011. Survivorship during starvation for Cimex lectularius L. Insects 2: 232–242
- Polanco, A.M., C.C. Brewster, and D.M. Miller. 2011. Population growth potential of the bed bug, Cimex lectularius L.: A life table analysis. Insects 2: 173–185
- Brown, P., D.M. Miller, and C.C. Brewster. 2011. The characterization of emerging tramp ant communities (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) in residential neighborhoods of southern Puerto Rico. Sociobiology 57: 425–443.
- Cline, B.E., C.C. Brewster, and R.D. Fell. 2010. A rule-based system for automatically evaluating student concept maps. Expert Systems with Applications 37:2282–2291
- Mbata, G.N., and C.C. Brewster. 2009. Functional response of Pteromalus cerealellae (Hymenoptera: Pteromalidae) on the cowpea weevil, Callosbruchus maculatus (Coleoptera: Bruchidae) and interaction between parasitism and cowpea varietal susceptibility. BioControl 54:751–761.
- Kamminga, K., D.A. Herbert, T.P. Kuhar, and C.C. Brewster. 2009. Predicting black light trap catch and flight activity of Acrosternum hilare (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) adults. Environmental Entomology 38: 1716–1723
- Tiwari, S., R.R. Youngman, C.A. Laub, C.C. Brewster, T.A. Jordan, and C. Teutsch. 2009. European corn borer (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) infestation level and plant growth stage on whole-plant corn yield grown for silage in Virginia. Journal of Economic Entomology 102: 2146–2153
- Chapman, A.V., T.P. Kuhar, P.B. Schultz, and C.C. Brewster. 2009. Dispersal of Trichogramma ostriniae (Hymenoptera: Trichogrammatidae) in potato fields. Environmental Entomology 38: 677–685
- Lambert, R., Kolivras, K., L. Resler, C.C. Brewster, and S.L. Paulson. 2008. The role of temperature and physician awareness in the potential emergence of Chagas disease in the United States. Geospatial Health 2: 83–95.
- Onufrieva (Tcheslavskaia) K., C.C. Brewster, K. Thorpe, A. Sharov, D. Leonard, R. Reardon, V. Mastro, P. Sellers, and E. Roberts. 2008. Effects of the 3MTM MEC sprayable pheromone® formulation on gypsy moth mating success. Journal of Applied Entomology, 132:461–468.
- Fisher, M.L., D.M. Miller, C.C. Brewster, C. Husseneder, and A. Dickerman. 2007. Diversity of gut bacteria of Reticulitermes flavipes as examined by 16S rRNA gene sequencing and amplified rDNA restriction analysis (ARDRA). Current Microbiology 55: 254–259
- Fisher, M. L., D.M. Miller, C.C. Brewster, and A.W. Dickerman. 2007. A study of the gut bacterial diversity in Reticulitermes flavipes using amplified rDNA restriction analysis (ARDRA). Sociobiology 50: 921–938
- Dellinger, T.A., R.R. Youngman, C.A. Laub, C.C. Brewster, and T.P. Kuhar. 2006. Yield and forage quality of glandular-haired alfalfa under alfalfa weevil (Coleoptera: Curculinionidae) and potato leafhopper (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) pest pressure in Virginia. Journal of Economic Entomology 99: 1235–1244
- Ashley, J.L., D.A. Herbert, E.E. Lewis, C.C. Brewster, and R. Huckaba. 2006. Toxicity of three acaricides to Tetranychus urticae (Tetranychidae: Acari) and Orius insidiosus (Anthocoridae: Hemiptera). Journal of Economic Entomology 99: 54–59
- Tcheslavskaia, K.S., C.C. Brewster, K.W. Thorpe, A.A. Sharov, D. Leonard, and A. Roberts. 2005. Effects of intentional gaps in spray coverage on the efficacy of gypsy moth mating disruption. Journal of Applied Entomology 129:475–480.
- Tabor, K. L., R.D. Fell, C.C. Brewster, K. Pelzer, and G. Behonick. 2005. Effects of antemortem ingestion of ethanol on the successional patterns and development of Phormia regina (Meigen) (Diptera: Calliphoridae). Journal of Medical Entomology 42: 481–489
- Tcheslavskaia, K.S., K.W. Thorpe, C.C. Brewster, A.A. Sharov, D.S. Leonard, R.C. Reardon, V.C. Mastro, P. Sellers, and E. A. Roberts. 2005. Optimization of pheromone dose for gypsy moth mating disruption. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata 115: 355–361
- Tabor, K.L., R.D. Fell, and C.C. Brewster. 2005. Insect fauna visiting carrion in southwest Virginia. Forensic Science International 150: 73–80
- Dellinger, T.A., R.R. Youngman, C.A. Laub, C.C. Brewster, and T.P. Kuhar. 2005. Host effects of glandular-haired alfalfa on alfalfa weevil (Coleoptera: Curculinionidae) and potato leafhopper (Homoptera: Cicadellidae) populations in Virginia. Journal of Economic Entomology 98: 72–81
- Tabor, K.L., C.C. Brewster, and R.D. Fell. 2004. Analysis of the successional patterns of carrion insects in southwest Virginia. Journal of Medical Entomology 41: 785–795
- Barker, C.M., C.C. Brewster, and S.L. Paulson. 2003. Spatiotemporal oviposition and habitat preferences of Ochlerotatus triseriatus and Aedes albopictus in an emerging focus of La Crosse virus. J. American Mosquito Control Association 40: 403–410.
- Tcheslavskaia, K.S., C.C. Brewster, and A.A. Sharov. 2003. Mating success of Gypsy moth (Lepidoptera: Lymantriidae) females in southern Wisconsin. The Great Lakes Entomologist 35: 1–7.
- Brewster, C.C., E.L. Holden, and J.C. Allen. 2002. Spatial tools for pest management. Geospatial Solutions 12: 26–31
- Allen, J.C., C.C. Brewster, and D.L. Slone. 2001. Spatially explicit ecological models: A spatial convolution approach. Chaos, Solitons, and Fractals (Special Issue in Ecology) 12: 333–347.
- Allen, J.C., D.D. Kopp, C.C. Brewster, and S.J. Fleischer. 1999. 2011: An agricultural odyssey. American Entomologist 45:96–104.
- Legaspi, B. C., Allen, J. C., Brewster, C. C., Morales-Ramos, J. A., King, E. G.. 1998. Areawide management of the cotton boll weevil: use of a spatio-temporal model in augmentative biological control.. Ecological Modelling 110: 151–164
- Yonow, T., Brewster, C. C., Allen, J. C., and Meltzer, M. I.. 1998. A model for heartwater epidemiology: Practical applications and implications for future research. . Onderstepoort Journal of Veterinary Research. 65: 263–273
- Brewster, C. C., and Allen, J. C.. 1997. Spatiotemporal model for studying insect dynamics in large-scale cropping systems. . Environmental Entomology 26:473–482
- 202 Price Hall