For a third year, artists of all ages entered their buggiest creations in the Hokie BugFest Art Contest. This year, we received 152 entries from artists in five states and two countries! Please take a moment to enjoy the works of these talented individuals by clicking on the links to the galleries above.
Judges selected the top 10 entries in each category and each age group. These will be on display on the Hokie BugFest Facebook page from October 7-16, where the public will vote for their favorites.
Show your support! Follow the link below to vote!
Take a photograph of your entry and upload it through the online submission form (entry registration closed 10/1/20).
- Drawing/Painting: 1 photo
- Photography: 1 photo
- Lego Bug Challenge: up to 2 photos (from different vantage points)
- Take your photo in good lighting.
- Be sure it’s in focus (not blurry).
- Landscape aspect is preferred over vertical.
- Be sure your phone is set to high quality photos (some are set to take lower quality photos in order to save space).
- Submit your photo as a JPEG or a PNG. Please avoid proprietary formats (e.g., Nikon’s proprietary file format is NEF).
- Only one entry per person, per contest.
- Entries must be the original work of the entrant.
Drawing/Painting and Photography:
- No traced or copyright protected images.
Lego Bug Challenge:
- No pre-made bug kits, use only Lego-type building materials (no extra items like pipe cleaners, googly eyes, etc.).
- Entries must be “bug-related” (e.g., insects, arachnids, centipedes, etc.).
Judging & Voting:
Art will be displayed on the virtual Hokie BugFest website hokiebugfest.org from October 7-17. Judges will choose 10 finalists from each contest (painting/drawing, photography, and Lego bug challenge) in each age group. Finalists will be posted on the Hokie BugFest Facebook page facebook.com/hokiebugfest/ from October 7-16 where the public can vote for their favorites. Voting will commence at 12 p.m. on October 7 and end at 11:59 p.m. on October 16.
BE SURE TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO VOTE!
All entries will be judged according to their adherence to the contest rules, overall originality, artistic skill, and effort level. Be creative! Have fun!!
- Painting/Drawing – Entries will be judged according to four age groups: elementary (grades K-5), middle school (grades 6-8), high school (grades 9-12), and adult.
- Photography – All photo entries will be judged together.
- Lego Bug Challenge – Entries will be judged according to three age groups: elementary (grades K-5), middle school (grades 6-8), high school/adult.
Prizes will be mailed to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners from each age group in each contest.
- Awards will be given for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each age group in each contest.
- Winners will be announced on October 17 at Virtual Hokie BugFest at hokiebugfest.org.
Please check the website for a schedule of event times.
GOOD LUCK! AND DON’T FORGET TO INVITE YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO VOTE AT facebook.com/hokiebugfest/ FROM OCTOBER 7-16!!