Hokie BugFest celebrates the fun and exciting science of entomology, and the Virginia Tech tradition of learning and discovery, through outreach and engagement. This event highlights an ongoing youth education program hosted by the Virginia Tech Department of Entomology, Virginia Tech College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Virginia Cooperative Extension's 4-H program, and the department's student-run professional organization, the W. B. Alwood Entomological Society. Since its inception in 1966, Alwood Society members have engaged over 30,000 children by hosting department tours, visiting schools, and supporting special events like the Hokie BugFest. The event is just one day in this ongoing, year-round effort.
Hokie BugFest 2020
The tenth annual Hokie BugFest is scheduled from Wednesday, October 7 to Saturday, October 17, 2020 as a Virtual Event!
This event will be run through this website with links to our Facebook page.
Hokie BugFest – Schedule of Activities
Daily Features – October 7-17
NEW EACH DAY
- Extreme Insect of the Day – meet one of the 10 most extreme insects on Earth
- Featured Exhibits – explore new virtual exhibits each day
- Insect Story of the Day – listen to a new insect story in English, Spanish, and American Sign Language
- At-home Activities – download new crafts ideas, recipes, and other bug-inspired fun to do at home
Ways to GET INVOLVED
- Contest voting – vote for your favorite buggy drawing, painting, photograph, and Lego sculpture
- Jr. Entomologist Certificate – become a “bug scientist”
- Backyard Scavenger Hunt – explore parks, trails, and your own backyard…can you find all 10 arthropods?
- Buggy Library Challenge – read, draw, and explore insects to earn an insect book -- check it out... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E14y_W5l_J4
- Scout Corner – BSA scouts earn your Insect Study Merit Badge
- Arthropod Comedy Wall – share your funniest bug joke or laugh at others
- Cockroach Derby Voting – examine the attributes of each roach athlete and vote on which racer will win
Saturday Highlights – October 10 and 17
- Special Events: Virginia Tech BugZoo tour, How to Make Grasshopper Pie cooking demonstration, 1st Annual Cockroach Derby, Slightly Fantastic Circus of Fleas, and more!
- Special Guests: Bugs and the Weather with WDBJ7’s Weather Guru Brent Watts, Tony Gustin’s Creepy Crawly Zoo with, and Storytime, Crafts, and More with Joelle Shenk, and more!
Although we have gone virtual this year, we continue to strive to provide a science-based event open to the public following our ongoing priorities as best as we can, including:
- FREE admission
- Family-oriented environment
- Collaboration with the town of Blacksburg
- S.A.F.E. (Supporting Autism Friendly Environments) event
2020 EVENT SPONSORS
- Virginia Tech College of Agriculture & Life Sciences
- Fralin Life Sciences Institute - Virginia Tech
- Superior Exterminating
- Virginia Cooperative Extension - Virginia 4-H
- Virginia Tech Department of Entomology
- Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs
- Owens Family Entertainment
- Tony's Creepy Crawly Zoo
- Lyric Theatre
- JoELoe Productions
GIVE TO HOKIE BUGFEST https://give.vt.edu/hokiebugfest