October 7, 2023 - 10am-3pm - Squires Student Center, Blacksburg, VA
Hokie BugFest celebrates the fun and exciting science of entomology, and the Virginia Tech tradition of learning and discovery, through outreach and engagement. This event highlights an ongoing youth education program hosted by the Virginia Tech Department of Entomology, Virginia Tech College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, Virginia Cooperative Extension's 4-H program, and the department's student-run professional organization, the W. B. Alwood Entomological Society. Since its inception in 1966, Alwood Society members have engaged over 30,000 children by hosting department tours, visiting schools, and supporting special events like the Hokie BugFest. The event is just one day in this ongoing, year-round effort.
Hokie BugFest 2023
Our in-person event will take place on October 7, 2023, from 10am-3pm at the Squires Student Center in Blacksburg. We will have an early opening at 9-10am for those with special needs (S.A.F.E. hour). Come to enjoy live bugs, educational exhibits, and hands-on activities!
If you are a person with a disability and desire any assistive devices, services or other accommodations to participate in this activity, please contact Whitney Weaver in the office of Virginia Tech Pesticide Programs at 540-231-6543* during business hours of 8 am. and 5 p.m. to discuss accommodations five days prior to the event.
*TDD number is (800) 828-1120
Permits are not needed to park on campus during the weekend. Recommended event parking includes the following area: Squires Lot, Architecture Annex, Alumni Mall, Drillfield. Do not park in any spots marked for service vehicles and be sure to check times on metered spots to avoid tickets. Visit parking.vt.edu for more information.
Blacksburg Transit will be running on a reduced service schedule due to fall break, so be sure to check their website for the most up to date information.
Event highlights include
- Dan Capps Insect Collection – View one of the largest private insect collection in the country, featuring hundreds of pinned specimens from across the globe (walking sticks that measure over two feet; goliath, Hercules, and other massive beetles; vibrant butterflies and moths; and more.)
- Over 30 exhibitors – Virginia Tech labs, Extension groups, local museums, and community/industry organizations will share their latest research, provide games, showcase live animals (including some reptiles, birds, and mammals), and provide a host of other activities.
- LIVE arthropods from the Hokie BugZoo – Meet a range of live arthropods including tarantulas, scorpions that glow, blue death feigning beetles, giant hissing cockroaches, whip spiders, vinegaroons, and more.
- Earn your junior Entomologist certificate!
- Bug Library – Relax, read bug books, do quiet activities, or apply for a library card.
- 4-H Insect Collection Contest – Check out insect collections entered by young entomologists from around the region. Winners will be announced; ribbons and prizes will be given.
- Story Time with Joelle - Bugs! - 11am-12pm - Lyric Theater
In an effort to make our event more inclusive, we're offering Spanish language translation services from 1pm-3pm at Hokie BugFest on October 7th. If you're interested in utilizing this service, please visit the welcome table at the entrance of the event to meet with a translator. A volunteer will take your group around the festival to view exhibits and translate the information presented. For more information, please contact Fernanda Vasquez-Valverde.
En busca de hacer nuestro evento más inclusivo, en Hokie BugFest el 7 de octubre estaremos ofreciendo servicios de traducción al español de 1pm a 3pm. Si está interesado en utilizar este servicio, diríjase a la mesa de bienvenida para encontrarse con un traductor. El traductor voluntario llevará a su grupo alrededor de las exhibiciones y traducirá la información presentada. Para mayor información, contacte a Fernanda Vasquez-Valverde.
GIVE TO HOKIE BUGFEST https://give.vt.edu/hokiebugfest
For questions regarding this event, please contact Whitney Weaver - email@example.com